All of us no matter what age struggle with pain and inflammation in the body, whether it is post a workout, due to an exhausting day or because of a chronic condition. While popping a painkiller is the easier thing to do, it’s always a good idea to try natural solutions that do actually work. A lot of research now is pointing towards the effectiveness of using essential oils for joint pain and inflammation.
Different Essential Oils have different benefits based on their inherent natural properties. Once you get a hang of which essential oil is right for you along with the thumb rules of blending, a lot of everyday problems at home can be handled using these potent plant extracts. Before you start researching the most important thing to know is, Essential oils are very strong, all of them need to be diluted in a base or carrier oil such as apricot before applying on skin.
Listed below are seven of the most effective essential oils for pain and inflammation that will help you stay more active and not let your pain come in the way of your life.
Nutmeg Essential Oil
This is one of the most effective essential oil for inflammation and pain. It is very useful for relieving joint & muscular pain alike, along with soothing more chronic conditions such as arthritis, rheumatism etc. Nutmeg Oil is used in Chinese medicine to help with swollen joints, abdominal pain and any other inflammation.It’s also a great idea to add a few drops to your massage oil to help with pain because of overexertion. For women, it’s a good essential oil to keep as it also helps in relieving menstrual cramps.
Ginger Essential Oil
Whether it is soreness, backache, menstrual cramps, joint pain or muscular pain by using this oil you can get instant relief, increase blood circulation and soothe inflammation. Ginger Essential Oil spreads warmth through your aching muscles and helps reduce pain drastically.Studies at the University of Georgia and University of Miami have researched the effectiveness of these essential oils for inflammation in the body.
Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary Essential oil is definitely one to keep in the lookout when considering essential oils for muscle pain as it contains potent anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties.Along with this amazing benefit, Rosemary Essential Oil is also known to be very helpful in reducing hair fall, relieving headaches and improving memory as well as cognition.
Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Along with its very many other therapeutic properties such as clear congestion, relieving headaches etc, Eucalyptus Essential Oil has antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory, which significantly reduces muscle and joint pain.It has a cooling effect that makes it a very effective choice as an essential oil for muscle inflammation or to be used in a massage oil to combat fatigue.
Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint Essential oil contains menthol, menthone and methyl esters, which make it a great choice as an essential oil for back pain, body aches or swelling. The menthol acts as a cooling agent to ease the pain.It is also very well known to help reduce tension headaches and migraines. If you work out a lot or play any sport, this Essential oil is very effective for your post work out soreness.
Chamomile Essential Oil
German Chamomile has very powerful anti-inflammatory compounds that help reduce pain, redness and swelling due to inflammation.It’s especially effective when dealing with sprains, strains, chronic inflammation and deep tissue problems. Along with these properties, Chamomile Essential Oil is also very good for hydrating skin, hair & scalp.
Thyme Essential Oil
Thyme Essential Oil is a wonderful stimulant which helps increase blood circulation, which increases healing, blood flow and therefore oxygenation.Along with this, it is antispasmodic, antirheumatic and an emmenagogue, which makes it a fantastic essential oil for joint pain and inflammation along with relief from menstrual cramps.
These are just a few of the options that you can choose from the very large kingdom of plant extracts. Please do bear in mind that these essential oils are extremely strong and need to be diluted before application.There are a lot of people over the world that are reaping the benefits of using these essential oils to their advantage and are living more active and well lives. Taking the ownership of our own health goes a long way and the intention put into healing our problems in place of sticking around in victim mode can do miracles. Start to take on your own health journey today, work with your medical professional, nutritionist and research on your own to become the best possible version of yourself.
How to use:
When blending Essential Oils please keep in mind the dilution ratio, 3 to 5% dilution in a base or carrier oil, refer to the attached dilution chart in the link below to understand the number of drops.
For Facial Skin – 0.7 to 2%Body Massage – 1.5 to 3%Pain Relief – 5 – 7%(To make it easier mix about 50 drops of the Essential Oil in 50 ml of carrier oil for pain relief)
Few things you should know
- Fragrance oils aren’t Essential Oils (read labels carefully)
- Essential Oils are highly concentrated, use them sparingly and carefully
- When Pregnant skip Essential oil usage, especially in the first trimester
- Always do a patch test, if you are allergic to the plant – you will be allergic to the EO
- Make sure you are using high quality 100% Pure Essential Oils
- Keep Essential Oils away from direct heat and sunlight and they can last over years!
- It’s perfectly fine to be confused when using EO’s the first time, reach out to people to clear your doubtsThe thumb rule to keep in mind for all Essential Oil usage is the dilution should be kept at 3%. Essential Oils are very strong and potent and should be used sparingly. Please maintain caution on usage.You can also find us at farmers markets in different cities, at The Earth Collective by Meenu Nageshwaran in New Delhi, at Horizon Plaza Artisinal Market HandpickedbyPC, at Luke Coutinho’s Farmers Markets in Bangalore and Mumbai.Shop for all products from Meraki Essentials hereShould you need any further assistance on usage and finding the right essential oil for yourself feel free to reach out to us on [email protected] or reach out to us on +91 95990 80825.Disclaimer:This information is not intended as diagnosis, treatment or prescription for any disease, nor is it presented as an alternative to regular medical attention. Please note very few modern medical research studies have been conducted to be able to affirm or disapprove the effects of essential oils. If medical attention is indicated please contact a health professional.