Peppermint essential oil is multitasking oil that has several benefits for skin, hair, and household purposes. This oil has been used as folk medicine by the Chinese and Japanese because of its medicinal and healing properties. It is extremely cooling, hydrating and has anti-inflammatory properties. It is very effective to calming many skins, hair, and health issues and is known for its effectiveness in soothing sunburn.
Sunburns can be extremely painful and uncomfortable. A lot of caution should be maintained while stepping out into the sun and using a good sunscreen to keep your skin safe.
It is important to always dilute an essential oil with another ingredient or carrier oil before usage.
– Make an aftersun spray bottle to spray right after impact, in a 50 ml bottle add 30 ml filtered water, 10 ml aloe vera, 20 drops of Lavender Essential Oil and 10 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil. Spray on the affected area.
– For night time application, Take about 5 ml of Aloe Vera and add 2 drops of German Chamomile Essential Oil, 1 drop of Peppermint Essential Oil and 2 drops of Lavender Essential oil and apply on the affected area.
– Once the skin starts to peel off make sure to moisturize properly. In 50 ml hydrating carrier oil of your choice add 10 Drops of German Chamomile Essential Oil, 20 drops Lavender Essential Oil and 10 drops of Peppermint Essential oil and apply.
This provides immediate relief from sunburn and reduces the dryness and reddishness. However, if you do experience severe symptoms of pain and fever you should see a doctor.
Here are few healing benefits of pure peppermint oil:-
1. Peppermint oil for hair care/ dandruff relief-
Applying peppermint oil on the scalp with a carrier oil like coconut and almond oil is known to improve the quality of your hair. It maintains the pH level of the scalp and promotes a healthy scalp that improves hair growth. It also reduces hair fall. The antimicrobial and antiseptic properties cool down the scalp and reduce the growth of dandruff.
2. Peppermint oil for headaches-
If you suffer from migraine or sinusitis you will be well versed with the intensity of the headache. If you are on the lookout for a natural remedy for headache. Take about 5 ml of carrier oil such as coconut and add 2 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil. Apply the mixture to temples and nape of the neck for instant relief.
3. Peppermint oil for respiratory trouble-
The menthol makes it a superb expectorant that helps in relieving cough, cold, congestion and sinusitis. in a bowl of warm water, add a drop of Peppermint Essential Oil and cover your head with a towel for steam inhalation and relief.
4. Peppermint for indigestion-
This oil works for almost everything. To soothe flatulence or an upset stomach, take about 5 ml of carrier oil such as apricot and add 2 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil. Apply on the abdomen and feel relief.
5. Helps Reduce Pain, Inflammation and spasms-
Peppermint Essential Oil is present in almost every balm and pain-relieving tube that is available in the market due to its amazing properties. For relief in 50 ml of base oil such as Almond, add 35 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil and apply on the affected area.
6. Peppermint for reducing fatigue
Peppermint is energizing and stimulating, and useful for both mental and physical fatigue. “The evidence shows that Peppermint oil both increases alertness and reduces blood pressure. This is not a Dapto genesis, nor is it a contradiction; it’s simply that alertness and blood pressure are controlled by different parts of our nervous system, and the same essential oil can be both ‘stimulating’ and ‘depressing’ at the same time, but to different receptor sites or neurochemical pathways.”
How to use:
When blending Essential Oils please keep in mind the dilution ratio, 3 to 5% dilution in a base or carrier oil, refer to the attached dilution chart in the link below to understand the number of drops.
For Facial Skin – 0.7 to 2%
Body Massage – 1.5 to 3%
Pain Relief – 5 – 7%
(To make it easier mix about 50 drops of the Essential Oil in 50 ml of carrier oil for pain relief)
Few things you should know
- Fragrance oils aren’t Essential Oils (read labels carefully)
- Essential Oils are highly concentrated, use them sparingly and carefully
- When Pregnant skip Essential oil usage, especially in the first trimester
- Always do a patch test, if you are allergic to the plant – you will be allergic to the EO
- Make sure you are using high quality 100% Pure Essential Oils
- Keep Essential Oils away from direct heat and sunlight and they can last over years!
- It’s perfectly fine to be confused when using EO’s the first time, reach out to people to clear your doubts
The thumb rule to keep in mind for all Essential Oil usage is the dilution should be kept at 3%. Essential Oils are very strong and potent and should be used sparingly. Please maintain caution on usage.
You can also find us at farmers markets in different cities, at The Earth Collective by Meenu Nageshwaran in New Delhi, at Horizon Plaza Artisinal Market HandpickedbyPC, at Luke Coutinho’s Farmers Markets in Bangalore and Mumbai.
Shop for all products from Meraki Essentials here
Should you need any further assistance on usage and finding the right essential oil for yourself feel free to reach out to us on [email protected] or reach out to us on +91 95990 80825.
This information is not intended as diagnosis, treatment or prescription for any disease, nor is it presented as an alternative to regular medical attention. Please note very few modern medical research studies have been conducted to be able to affirm or disapprove the effects of essential oils. If medical attention is indicated please contact a health professional.