Road signs in Malaysia are standard signs similar to those found in Europe with minor distinctions. Earlier, the nation followed Australian, Irish and Japanese road signage designs with diamond-shaped warnings and restrictive signs to control the traffic. The core Road Signage are written in Bahasa Malaysia, yet English signs are also used for tourist attractions, airports, stations, etc.
There are four major types of Road Signage used, namely –
- Warning Road Sign
- Information Road Sign
- Mandatory Road Sign
- Construction / Temporary Road Sign
- Priority Road Sign
Warning Sign- Warning signs in Malaysia are often red or yellow to advise of potential danger. You should take note of any warning signs in Malaysia as they are designed to alert you of possible dangers ahead.
Information Road Sign-Information signs in Malaysia are the most frequently used road signs in Malaysia and are generally used on any type of road to provide road users with general information about the road they are using and the road ahead
Mandatory Road Sign- Mandatory Road signs in Malaysia are used where you are required to carry out a specific task, they are not suggestions, information, or advisory signs, they must be adhered to and as such are arguably the most important roads signs in Malaysia that you need to know
Temporary Road Sign-These road signs are used when construction or road maintenances are taking place temporarily. These signs are usually in orange and black
Priority Road Sign- Priority Road signs in Malaysia are designed to clarify who has priority at the junction/road ahead. If driving in a country where you drive on the other side to the road, priorities are likely to be the opposite of what you are familiar with, roundabouts being a notable difference
Road signage are a vital part of the Road Works, and these form the crucial function of notifying the motorist of regulations, warnings, hazards, etc. It helps motorists to drive safely. The UK system uses symbols instead of words to convey the message has heavily influenced these signs. It helps provide instant communication to road users and overcomes language barriers with ease. The common road symbols found on Malaysian roads can include the following –
Green and blue symbols – blue and green signboards are used to indicate road types, and these symbols are commonly found all over the nation. For instance – blue road signs indicate a toll-free road, federal, state, and municipal roads. Green signboards represent toll-paying expressways or highways.
The names are often in white colors.
Federal roads – Federal roads are the ones declared under the Federal Roads Ordinance, 1959. These include major road networks that connect the states and the roadways leading to the entry and exit from the nation.
State roads – State roads are the primary roads used for intra-state travels, especially between districts, administrative centers, etc.
All signboard standards follow the following guidelines in Malaysia :
- Arahan Teknik Jalan ATJ 2E/87 (Pindaan 2011): “Guide Signs Design and Application
- Expressway Signing System – Guidelines and Design Application
Importance of selecting the best Road Safety Products
- Choosing the best Road Safety Products is quite important as these represent a safe and secure way to drive inside the nation. This consistency is an important factor that helps you to determine the right way to drive inside the area.
- These are easy to understand. Rather than depending on the words, these traffic signs frequently rely on images to convey vital information to the drivers.
- You get warned about stuff that is not pretty obvious otherwise. Temporary signs around repairs, construction zones, etc., are important. Winding road signs, dead-end, etc., are easily displayed by the site that helps to prevent surprises or warns against dangerous obstacles.
- Minus these signs, driving on roads will be chaotic and dangerous. New drivers would not understand when to stop or maintain speeding limits. It also helps avoid rash or reckless blunders. Drivers are also aware of the benefits of maintaining the appropriate speed limits.
- These also help to keep cyclists and pedestrians safe from incoming traffic. Signs help them understand the right way to cross the roads and alert drivers to their presence.
- In areas where handling traffic is a major problem, it is easy to manage traffic and prevent it quickly from turning chaotic. Traffic signs also help address traffic movement issues to make the traffic movements easy and prevent accidents.